Thursday, August 19th 2004, at 12:30 p.m. a call came to my
office telling me my house was on fire. My first thought
was my four legged family... can they save them?? I
reached my home around 12:45 p.m. and saw only fire trucks
surrounding my house. I thought for a second that it was a
gas leak and my house had blown up... I then was able to
get inside and the firemen had saved my two Huskies from the
fire. They were crate trained and could NOT get out!, or
even move inside the house to a safer area. The firemen
pulled them out in their crates and put them on the deck and
hosed them down. I thanked all my angels.. The fire
started in my finished basement where my four cats, aged 18
years old, were born, raised and lived... I asked the firemen,
did you see my cats? They didn't know there were
additional pets living in my house (yes, I had the Pet Emergency
Sticker for my windows, but never put them on). They
started down the stairs again. Each one of my cats were
brought up one by one with smoke inhalations and burns.
SPCA was called and there was still a chance to save them.
Each one of my cats received pet CPR and oxygen for quite a
Because of the quick thinking on behalf of the fire department
and SPCA my Huskies and all my cats survived. Only one cat
"Sebastian" received 1st degree burns on all four paws. He
was treated as a burn patient at my vet for over 8 weeks.
He and his litter mates were saved and three out of four cats
are still with me. I sadly just lost one of them, my
"Rusty", to old age- he was 20 years old. I thanked my
angels again that I didn't lose him in the fire, but to old age
and I truly miss him.
And yes, "Sebastian" is doing just fine.
He's still over 20 pounds and very handsome.
I now teach about Pet 1st Aid/CPR and Safety with hands on
knowledge that is so easy to learn. My 26 years in the
health field teaching the two legged has now been transformed to
the four legged.